The City of Echuca Bowls Club hosted the Spiers Family Spring Fours last weekend, with 42 teams and 168 bowlers from around Victoria competing in this popular tournament. The tournament is held in recognition of the wonderful contribution members of the Spiers family have made to the Club over a period of nearly seventy-five years.
After two days of fortunate weather, and even better bowling, the winners and minor placings were determined. The results were:
- L Brooks, J Woodhouse, J Spicer and S North (Bundoora RSL)
- C Watt, S Rutherford, B Watt and D North (Bundoora RSL)
- I Ewing, G Guy, J Nancarrow and S Carroll (Bundoora RSL)
- D Cox, S Williams, P Wardle and A Cressley (Bundoora RSL)
- T Babitsch, J Cassidy, J Frost and A Eddy (Composite)
- G Myers, G Waddell, R Warburton and A King
- M Harvey, J Ferrier, I Hicks and T Downie (Echuca/Hilltop)
- G Page, S King, R Holmfield and B McEwan (Rich River)
Play-offs for the minor prizes resulted in wins for the teams skipped by:
G Beattie (Echuca), R Day (Inglewood), D Fletcher (Gisborne), R Arendt (Benalla) and W Gribble (Shepparton Golf).
Members of the Spiers family, Lorraine Harrison, Margaret Spiers, Maurie Spiers and Cliff Spiers, made the presentation of trophies.
City of Echuca members are reminded that Opening Day for the coming season will be held at the club this Saturday, August 19th.
Social bowls will be played, commencing at 1pm. Members are asked to provide a plate of afternoon tea, and names can be entered on the clubhouse noticeboard.
Members intending to play weekend pennant are also asked to check the noticeboard for information regarding practice matches. Names should also be entered on the list for bowlers intending to play weekend pennant this season.
Social bowls results:
- Mixed social bowls – Saturday, July 29th
- Bill Toll, Anne Vanderkley, Dennis Portwine and John Kelly
- Jim Thomas, Jan Palmer, Jack Shearer and Roy McCluskey
- Mixed triples – Monday, July 31st
- Jim Thomas, Dennis Portwine and Elaine Thomas
- Tony Hawley, Jim Ferrier and Joan Armstrong
- Mens’ pairs – Thursday, August 10th
- Rob Ansett and Greg Shilling
- Peter O’Brien and Phil Cooper
Vouchers: George Thornley, Tony Hawley, Ray Milne, Jack Shearer and John Dignan
Jackpot: Ivan Hicks, Merv Harvey, John Dinsdale and Geoff Tarrant